Spring is definitely in the air, along with plenty of chores for homeowners everywhere. And for those of us in the Sandwich Generation, caring for the elderly parents and relatives near and far, that can include supervising repairs at our own home AND that of our senior parents.
Some things to think about include:
- Are any of your senior parents gardening tools needing repair or replacement?
- Heater and furnace and air conditioner check up and repair – if you didn't do it in the winter, it's time. And even if you did, many companies recommend twice a year checkups.
- Rain gutters cleaned out
- Chips in the concrete that may need some repair work
- Any leaks in the roof
- Do they need any light bulbs replaced – inside or out?
- Any wild and crazy plant growth that needs to be cut back to make for safer walking for our senior parents
- Any touch up painting needed?
- Are all their appliances working OK?
If you live nearby, it's easy to deal with these issues. But what about if your senior parents don't live nearby? If they don't know a repair person/gardener who can help them, some good resources for help include:
- Call their church – or a local nearby church – and ask for referrals
- Call their neighbors and ask for suggestions
- Check with a good referral site – I've been really blessed by
Got any other suggestions for all of us in the Sandwich Generation, caring for the real estate needs of our elderly parents as well as ourselves? We'd love to hear.
P.S. I'm linking this up some excellent and fun resources. Sweet Shot Tuesday, by My3Boybarians, has plenty of tips to help us with our easy to use digital camera as we have fun taking photos of landscaping designs, homes, and grandkids! And for some great, and often vintage, home decor and accessories and ideas – from the kitchen to the yard, be sure to visit Rednesday for RED ideas and Pink Saturday for PINK things galore!